   Broken SAX parser after app server port

I recently ported a WebSphere 4 application to Tomcat 5.  The schema-validated SAX parser (Xerces) in the program broke down.  It is now firing characters() when encountering whitespace after each end tag.  I have noticed some other unusual behavior such as the enormous size of the ch arrays being passed to characters().  The ch arrays are almost always of size 2048 and contain my entire XML document from beginning to wherever the 2048th character is.   I have tried adjusting the buffer size of the XMLReader to no avail.  I have looked for jar conflicts but haven’t found any yet.  Anybody relate to this?

J. Eric Hamacher

Wisconsin Department of Justice