   RE: [xml-dev] What is coupling? [Was: 3 XML Design Principles]

Hi Roger, et al.

It seems to me that no matter what you want to call the relationship, it
comes down to whether the recipient of the data understands how to turn
that raw data into information they can use.  No matter what you choose
to call the element, someone has to be able to look at it and make some
kind of judgment about what that name means relative to the values inside
the element.  If, for instance, I spoke Russian as my primary language,
"Assignment", "Association", "RelatedTo", "IsWorkingOn", or whatever are
all just abstract strings of letters.  No matter what you choose to call
the element, it can be misinterpreted unless there is some set of rules
established to indicate what the label means.  For example, "Assignment":
Is the lot assigned to the picker?  Is the picker assigned to the lot?
That's even assuming that I already know what "assign" means...

Sorry I don't have the proper training/vocabulary/etc. that most on this
list have.  These are just the rambling thoughts of a stupid techie trying
to solve problems my company wants solved.

Thanks for listening,

Joe Mayer
Information Systems
Kathrein Inc, Scala Division