   Re: [xml-dev] xml 2.0 - so it's on the way after all?

David Lyon wrote:

>Liam,
>
>I was reading this article...
>
>http://www.advogato.org/article/820.html
>
>so everything is looking good for an xml 2.0... with datatyping
>and other good stuff...

i know it's way too late, but here's the thing i dislike most about xml:
overloading the < symbol.

until 10 years ago this was a "less than" sign and had a partner, the
"greater than" sign. and it was used that way for about a century and a
half. and &lt; is for me, one of the unreadables of xml. x < y => x &lt;
y ???????

now it is an angle bracket and part of a confusing overloading of symbology.

syntactically, xml uses opening symbols of <, <!, <?, </ and <![. as
these are not white space delimited it is therefore not lr-1 for
parsing......

however i do like the specific start/end tag stuff and don't want to
lose it. it would have just been nicer to use a real bracket
combination. not important in markup (so i'm not flaming anyone) but a
pain when you extend to data and scripting - rapidly becoming important
uses of xml.

i chose square brackets for my own markup language - [] - which predates
xml by about 15 years for exactly this reason.

opinion #1 on this subject.

rick
begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall