   typing with XML Schema

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for my question, forgive me if
it is not and feel free to point me in the correct direction for it.
What I would like to do is create a new simpleType that is identical to
a built-in type, without any restrictions. Consider an example from C
language:

typedef uint16_t my_element_type;

What's the point? Well doing this allows me to use the "my_element_type"
everywhere and if it's size ever changes from say the 16 bits defined to
say 32 bits, I can just replace the line above with:

typedef uint32_t my_element_type

and the update becomes automatic throughout.

I thought something like this would have been perfect but is iilegal:

<xsd:simpleType name="my_element_type" base="xsd:unsignedShort"/>

then I tried this:

<xsd:simpleType name="my_element_type">
    <xsd:restriction base="xsd:unsignedShort"/>
</xsd:simpleType>

but it too is illegal.

Is there an elegant way to do this? Thanks in advance!
--
HK Chan