   Re: [xml-dev] extrernal entities - part 2

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Why are you using XML? Seems like you have a fundamental
> misunderstanding (OK, you have corrected some extreme beginner
> mistakes) of what XML is and what is is good for...

ultimately we have to translate a variety of document formats into
commands for different printers. so i normalise the documents to an xml
format and then use xsltproc to produce targeted outputs. not the only
solution, but a very neat one.

i guess i could put it into the database as well and have it output the
target info. lots of ways to skin this cat.

as for extreme beginner mistakes - xml is very big (in some ways) and as
each branch is approached the opportunity for extreme <aside>the most
overworked word in english at the moment</aside> beginner mistakes is
always there. i expect to make them for many years yet ;)

rick

> -Rob
>

> Rick Marshall wrote:
>
>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE label [
>>        <!ELEMENT vpn EMPTY>
>>        <!ATTLIST vpn code ENTITY #REQUIRED>
>>        <!NOTATION VPN SYSTEM "/usr/local/app/shoeman/bin/vpn">
>>        <!ENTITY codex SYSTEM "1234" NDATA VPN>
>>        ]>
>>
>> <label_file><vpn code="codex" /></label_file>
>>
>> ok, a bit more background here. i am trying to overcome a somewhat
>> classic "late-binding" problem.
>>
>> we get requests to print labels. the request come as text files that
>> are converted to xml and stored. the text file has everything we need
>> to print the labels except for some local info (essentially our
>> product number). sometime between receiving the files and actually
>> printing the labels all the data bits are filled in and we do have
>> the required product number. this can be identified from a code
>> supplied by the customer.
>>
>> the code above is a simplified version just to illustrate the point.
>>
>> when we produce the final output (zebra printer codes in this case)
>> we need to include our product code. so what i want to do is embed in
>> the xml a call to a function in our system that, when passed the
>> customer code, will return our product code.
>>
>> everything i've read suggests that the above snippet should work
>> (assuming /usr/local/app/sheoman/bin/vpn is executable and returns
>> something).
>>
>> and here is the simplified stylesheet:<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
>> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>
>>
>>        <xsl:output method="text"/>
>>
>>        <xsl:template match="/">
>>                <xsl:apply-templates match="label_file"/>
>>                </xsl:template>
>>
>>        <xsl:template match="label_file">
>>                <xsl:text>
>> XX</xsl:text>
>>                <xsl:apply-templates match="vpn"/>
>>                </xsl:template>
>>
>>        <xsl:template match="vpn">
>>                <xsl:text>
>> YY </xsl:text>
>>                <xsl:value-of select="@code"/>
>>                <xsl:text> ZZ</xsl:text>
>>                </xsl:template>
>>
>>        </xsl:stylesheet>
>>
>> and the output:
>>
>> XX
>> YY codex ZZ
>>
>> as you can see the entity "codex" is not  being replaced by the call
>> to /usr/local/...
>>
>> i can devise alternatives, but they would not be xml solutions and
>> that has other problems downstream.
>>
>> ps if this is the correc tsolution then it is a good reason to hang
>> on to dtds.
>>
>> rick

> !DSPAM:420ac88d52601198355258!

begin:vcard