   RE: [xml-dev] @href or @src?

> This is the answer: 1) There's no pattern, it's all random;
> 2) Frans should go do something useful.
>
> Right?

More or less. But there is also an explanation. Given that you're designing
a language (say XSLT) you've got to decide whether to make an attribute name
consistent with the style you've chosen for your language or consistent with
what other people called a similar attribute in a different language. It's
not an easy choice. In XSLT 2.0, for example, we chose "schema-location" on
the xsl:import-schema element: we could have used "href" for consistency
with xsl:include and xsl:import (whose terseness, as it happens, is
inconsistent with all other attribute names in XSLT), or we could have
chosen "schemaLocation" for consistency with XML Schema. Given a clean
slate, I would have chosen "location", on the grounds that "schema-" is
redundant. You can't be consistent with everyone.

Michael Kay