   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Where does the "nothing left but toolkits" mythcome fr

Fair enough. I wasn't thinking at that level of round-tripping, which I
agree is problematic. What worried me about ERH's example was the
potential for not even being able to round-trip text -- an issue that
hasn't come up before (modulo entity references).

The problem is not limited just to values, such as would occur with
binary representations of real numbers. It also applies to formats.
Dates and numbers have multiple formats, some of which may inadvertently
carry information.

For example, French geneological data might represent dates from the
Napoleonic period using the Napoleonic calendar; since this is how the
data is originally recorded, it should probably be continued to be
represented that way, even though these dates can be converted to modern
date systems.

Similarly, a transcription of notes written by a criminal suspect might
include dates in a particular format. Since this format might be a clue
to the suspect's nationality or background, changing the format would
mean losing information.

Obviously, this additional information could be represented by
additional metadata. But it is naive to think that all document
designers will add such metadata.

-- Ron