   URLs of DTDs question

Hi all,

when specifying a DTD for an XML document on my web server, the only way
that I got it to work is using an absolute URL:

<!DOCTYPE foo SYSTEM "/www/myserver/pathToDTD/myDTD.dtd">

I am running a local development server, and of course the absolute URL
to the DTD is different there to what it is on my web server. That means
that I need to change all the URLs before I upload changes - very
annoying!

Should DTDs work with relative URLS? What could be the reason that mine
don't seem to do that? Or, could they work at least with URLs that are
"absolute" from the root of my web server (In don't know how to put this
- basically "/pathToDTD/myDTD.dtd")? Or, is there any other way to avoid
having to maintain two different versions of the files?

Thanks!
Ingo