   RE: [xml-dev] choice, sequence, all: 'easy' XML Schema question

For certain classes of grammars, what you say is true, but it is not
a true claim in general. XML Schema's  "all" construct opens up the
problem to more than just context-free grammars and simple look-ahead
grammars.  Once they opened up that box why didn't they set the
problem space up to include the ability to to specify other useful
grammars. If they had remained pure then I could accept that defense,
but since they didn't, I won't. The lack of purity is one of the
hallmarks of the design-by-committee process where no single point of
view is dominant. It has very little to do with the ability or
motives of the individuals involved and was not meant as a slam
against them individually. It was offered as a warning that users
will find areas that are there for reasons that are incoherent to an
outsider who wasn' t there at the time.

Don Bate