   Foolin' around with multilingual and German and datatyping...

As ever fooling around, convinced that maybe in some decade
to come there has to be an xml 2.0, and it doesn't need to be
binary....

I had a german associate send me his translation of the following data record.
And then I got one done in mandarin. This internet makes the world such a
small place....

If anybody on this list knows any other languages and is
happy to translate, I'd appreciate them also.

What I really am checking for is how the structuring works
in other languages. Ie the boolean operators, dates and currency
fields.

 <Customer Information>
  // -- This is a comment
  Name&="Bundy Residence"
  Apartment_Number#=10
  Street_Number#=5
  Balance$=3500.00
  Date_Joined@=2005-02-06
  Membership_Valid=True
</Customer Information>

<Kundeninformation>
  // -- das ist ein kommentar
  Name&="Bundy Residenz"
  Apartenment_Nummer#=10
  Straßen_nummer#=5
  Saldo€=3500,00
  Eintrittsdatum@=2005-02-06
  Mitgliedschaft?=Ya
</kundeninformation>

and in mandarin...

<客户资料>
    // - 这是一个注解
   名字&="Bundy Residence"
    住宿号#=10
    路名#=5
    差額元=3500
    加入日期@=2005-02-06
    会友有效?=确定
</客户资料>

Apparently, I'm told that our numeric values are ok in
computer systems in china. This is their currency
symbol, 元 the yuan... in japanese, it would be
the ¥ yen.

I found a good page for currency symbols....

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/currency_symbols.html

Encoding currencies is fairly important for xml use in
business. As are logicals.

I can see that way back when xml was first framed that
the concept of "sending" data to another computer probably
wasn't even imagined. Or certainly not in the way that we
know it now.

Now all these fantastic things... like unicode.. that we never
had before ...  that we can take for granted... I think there
are so many exciting frontiers for xml...

btw, I think most known parsers will break if you inject them
with any of this data...

so please don't try any of these tricks at home....

--
Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.