   RE: [xml-dev] Quiz: XML flexibility

>     What about flexibility ? I am more interested in what you
> have to say about that.

Yes, but that takes time. I spent three years of my life trying to come up
with ways of measuring flexibility in IT systems (we called it "potential
for change") so that we could build business cases for investing in it: and
I'm not sure we achieved much.

As you say, using XML already gives you a lot of flexibility and that's why
people use it. It's also why people adopted relational databases, high-level
programming languages, you name it...

A messaging backbone with XSLT at its heart also gives you flexibility
because it means that you can change message formats in a
backwards-incompatible way provided the new format is transformable to the
old.

Validation using XML Schema or DTDs gives you flexibility because the more
you know about the assumptions that applications are making about the data
they receive, the easier it is to identify the impact of changing the rules.

One could go on and on... Nearly everything we do in the name of good
software engineering is investment in potential for change, and in nearly
all cases the benefits are unquantifiable. It's the only -ility we don't
know how to measure, and it's the most important one of all.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/