From: "Kirkham, Pete (UK)" <pete.kirkham@baesystems.com>
To: "William J. Kammerer" <wkammerer@novannet.com>;
<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Monday, 28 February, 2005 05:12 AM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Quiz: XML flexibility

> William J. Kammerer [mailto:wkammerer@novannet.com]
>And thinking about it, applying the "mixed content model" to XML
>documents does work (for flexibility). You can't predict ahead of time
>how data is to be organized, even if you do know you have to send it.

My understanding was that mixed content and data organisation were
orthogonal.

Certainly XSD claims to fully restrict mixed content[1].
<quote>
Under the XML Schema mixed model, the order and number of child elements
appearing in an instance must agree with the order and number of child
elements specified in the model.
</quote>

The only difference between mixed and not-mixed content is that /DTD/
validation of mixed content doesn't restrict the elements allowed; it
doesn't mean you can't validate it with something else. In either case,
performing no validation would be more liberal still.

Pete

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/#mixedContent