   Re: [xml-dev] XLINK support in browsers

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 08:44:21PM +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 14:04 -0500, Liam Quin wrote:
>
> > There are three main approaches to links in the markup world --
> > [1] a fixed vocabulary (html:a, xlink:link)
> > [2] link discovery (e.g. via a style sheet)
>
> How might a stylesheet help discover a link please Liam?
> (I'm guessing you're talking about an XSLT stylesheet?)

It doesn't, since XLink doesn't work that way -- as I said,
they are three common ways in the markup community, of which
XLink addressed only the first.  (You elided the third, which
was programmatic linking)

A style sheet system that was powerful enough to say "use the
value of this attribute as a link URL on this region, and when
the user clicks it, change the image to the one defined by this
element's Next attribute" (or whatever) would be able to do this.

Some people (including me) consider presenting markup as a clickable
link to be within the scope of a style sheet, as it's certainly
part of presentation, and others get all shirty about it, yet
are often happy for a style sheet to include a link to an image
that's automatically shown (e.g. background images).

There's a fuzzy line smewhere when it gets to programmatic links,
though, and just how hard the application works to discover links.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/