   Re: [xml-dev] Re: What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?

  • To: David Lyon <david.lyon@computergrid.net>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Re: What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?
  • From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:54:50 -0800 (PST)
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

--- David Lyon <david.lyon@computergrid.net> wrote:
> Maybe we got overtaken by the 3D games .... I've
> never understood the idea to
> stick a graphics card in a computer.. it just seems
> so wrong... :-)

The graphics card is optional. In the PCs which do not
have graphics card, the microprocessor has to execute
all drawing instructions. Interestingly MMX
instructions of new Pentium microprocessors provide
similar functions of graphics accelerator. Streaming
SIMD instructions add performance to graphics
operations complementing MMX instructions. So
microprocessor is evolving to provide advanced
graphics capabilities as well.

But as of today's date I think graphics card are
considered important. They speed up the computer's
ability to compress/decompress images or doing frame
operations required in advanced video applications.
Decoupling graphics functions from the microprocessor
frees the microprocessor for other jobs. And the
graphics cards are optimized for video processing and
for image oriented operations.

Regards,
Mukul