   RE: [xml-dev] XLINK support in browsers

At 02:31 PM 4/3/2005, Michael Kay wrote:
>Sorry, I missed this part of the question. I thought I was the document
>designer. If I'm just a document author and someone else has designed the
>schema, then I do what I'm told.

         Okay, so you do what you're told. You're probably getting told
this by somebody who makes about $40k a year, and has some minimal level of
XML experience. This mid-level tech writing professional has no idea about
the deep history of linking in the markup world, and has to figure out how
he's going to make this work. He also has a mandate to use standard tools
to transform this stuff into HTML content on his company's website, and PDF
documents for delivery to customers.

         What does this guy do? Build his own linking language? Rely on XSL
and CSS's nonexistent support for complicated linking? Tries to convert
one-to-many documents links into something HTML can use via funky scripting
tricks?

         What does he do?

         I'm interested in your perspective on this, as one of the more
vocal XLink critics. My guess? Our mid-level tech writing professional is
screwed, given the current state of technology.

--->Ben