   Re: [xml-dev] XLINK support in browsers

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Razvan MIHAIU wrote:
>
>> Support for simple links in Amaya is broken. For example the
>> xlink:show attribute is completely ignored. Mozilla support for this
>> is better ?
>

> I could look it up, but you can do some research in
> bugzilla.mozilla.org yourself ;-)
>

>>> This doesn't work within XHTML though and within SVG you can only
>>> apply it to svg:a elements at the moment, not to all elements.
>>

>>    I guess nothing will change here since Mozilla development has
>> frozen.
>

> Nonsense. You are talking about the Mozilla Suite, I am not. Before
> jumping to conclusions about Mozilla it might be wise to invest some
> time to found out how it actually works. (Firefox is based on the
> Mozilla Platform, for example. Just like various other Mozilla-based
> products.)

    I know that FF is based on Mozilla, but I read that they want to
concentrate on FF.
    I just checked their web site and it seems that there is going to be
a Mozilla 1.9.

>> I think that we should look into the direction of Firefox but I do
>> not have any hope that FF will implement those features soon.
>> Currently, FF 1.01 does not support simple links.
>

> Really? What is your testcase for that? It works for me.

    I tried with an XML file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<invoice>
    <XLinkTestl xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="new" xlink:actuate="onRequest"
xlink:title="My First XLINK" xlink:href="http://www.google.com";>
        XLINK test B
    </XLinkTestl>
</invoice>

    And with an HTML file:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
<head>
    <title>XLINK test</title>
</head>
<XLinkTestl xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="new" xlink:actuate="onRequest"
xlink:title="My First XLINK" xlink:href="http://www.google.com";>
    XLINK test B
</XLinkTestl>

    Both fail under FF. Amaya recognizes the simple links from the XML
file but it does not recognize the same links from the HTML file.

>> FF tries to be a 'mainstream' browser, so, implementing features that
>> are not used by any site I know cannot be on their priority list.
>

> By any site *you* know?

    Yes, by any site I know. You are quite an arrogant person, aren't you ?
    Provide examples of sites using XLINKS.

> Not sure what you are talking about.

    Yes, that could be a problem in any conversation.

--
Regards,
Razvan

SCJP preparation material: