   Re: [xml-dev] Mask e-mail addresses in xml-dev archives ?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Mask e-mail addresses in xml-dev archives ?
  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 09:03:25 +0200

Hi,

Le mardi 29 mars 2005 à 10:18 -0800, Ken North a écrit :
> Today I received yet another virus-infested e-mail that was purportedly from
> someone on the xml-dev list.
> This happens so frequently it's obvious someone has harvested the list as
> targets for e-mails containing malware.

Any public site that contains email addresses is exposed to be harvested
for sure.

OTH, if you receive virus-infected emails purportedly from someone on
the xml-dev list this is most probably not for this reason but because a
xml-dev subscriber (usually not the one who is supposed to be the origin
of the mail you've received) has been infected by a virus which has read
his address book or the addresses in his mail folders.

> What's the consensus about masking e-mail addresses in the xml-dev list archives
> at
> http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/ ?

Masking e-mail addresses is the archives isn't the proper answer in that
case and wouldn't prevent you from receiving infected messages.

In addition, personally and as someone whose main business leads come by
email, I prefer to have my mail address as exposed as possible and do
not wish to get it masked on the web!

My 0.02 ¤

Eric

--
If you have a XML document, you have its schema.
                                                  http://examplotron.org