   Re: [xml-dev] Problem parsing XML file with Xerces-J

On Apr 5, 2005 3:48 AM, David Lyon <david.lyon@computergrid.net> wrote:

> Well, you have a fifteen second delay in there... that might slow it down
> somewhat.....

This is not a problem in my program.. I need this delay. This is the
interval after which I send HTTP request. I can do so more
frequently(i.e. by having less delay); but that may send "too often"
requests to the server.. Actually for my application 15 seconds is a
reasonable time when no XML would exist on the server. I can think
about this issue later.

> Sounds like what you need is an event-driven communications driver
> rather than a pull driven (http) one....
>
> that way, you can get any changes as they happen from the host
> only when the xml file on the host changes.

Unfortunately I cannot do this. The service is provided by a large
service provider. They cater to number of customers. I am one of them.
The customers have to pull data from the server. The service provider
cannot push events to my application. This behaviour cannot be
changed. They would have to redesign their system, which they will not
do.

> and then you might try adding some quick diffing code so that you can quickly
> detect changes once they've arrived. And only process the updated regions
> rather than the whole lot.
>
> What you are talking about sounds pretty much like a realtime inventory
> updating system. Just guessing..... but it sounds very familiar.

its quite different domain.. But thats immaterial to this discussion.

> Another way is just to buy an off-the-shelf realtime inventory updating system
> and then stick the triggers in the database on the product records.
> Everything you need will be done for you, and you just write the code for
> after the product items have been changed.
>
> ahh... the wonders of black box componentry.....
>
> just a thought.....

Any other thoughts please let me know..

best regards,