   Re: [xml-dev] Re: What Does SOAP/WS Do that A REST System Can't?

David Lyon wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:46 am, Ronald Bourret wrote:
>
>>Can you query the XML documents?
>

> From an accounting perspective you can, as the important fields from within
> the document are broken out to the sql database to enable such queries. ie:

Makes sense. But that also means you're storing the data twice, which
makes updates a bit of a pain. Do you send the XML documents so often
that the performance gain of having them cached is worth the update
pain? Or do you only store data as XML that is never updated?

Also, did you consider using a native XML database as a way to store the
data? That would allow you to store it as XML and query it without
having to break out fields for storage in relational columns.

>>Doesn't strike me as very likely...
>
> Sending xml purchase orders and invoices is becoming much more
> common.... it certainly does happen in the real world in increasing
> amounts...

Actually, I meant that it didn't strike me as likely that sending XML
documents was the *only* thing you would do. I'm not at all surprised
that it's one of the things you do.

-- Ron