   Re: [xml-dev] Exposing resources/services vs hiding implementationdetail

Michael Champion wrote:

>On Apr 5, 2005 11:42 AM, Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@topicmapping.com> wrote:
>

>> the extreme of providing a
>>single poiunt of access (e.g. http://foo.org/myService ) to POST
>>everything to just doesn't seem to cut it when it comes to scalability
>>and integratability.
>>
>>But maybe I misunderstand your point.
>>

>My point is to ask for evidence to support that assertion,

scalability: you do not get caching possibilities with single-service+POST

integratability: if the domain model behind the service changes (due to
integration or evolution) and this (naturally) propagates to the service
API conversation with former clients becomes impossible because they do
not know the new semantics (and API). With REST you at least *can* have
a conversation and the server can for example provide the client with
the neccessary  information to adapt (e.g. transformation code can be
send accross to  transform the new schema into the old one).

IMHO, this capability of REST to handle domain model evolution without
having to re-program existing clients makes it a very interesting choice
not only for internet-scale/outside-firewall situations but also for
common enterprise IT (behind the firewall) systems.

>especially
>since one has to add "security" to the list of necessary properties
>for a Web application in today's world.

Can you point me to a good starting point for the 'security issues
list'? Limited experience keeps me from argueing about this point,
admitedly.

Jan