   Re: [xml-dev] Exposing resources/services vs hiding implementation detai

On Apr 5, 2005 3:29 PM, Jan Algermissen <jalgermissen@topicmapping.com> wrote:
> Rich Salz wrote:

<snip/>

> Scalability:
>
> With the single-service approach I have something like this:
>
> POST /myService
>
> person-id: 778
> method-name: getAddress
>
> ...service returns address....
>
> In order to understand the message, a system component must understand
> the particular semantics of the message content. The consequnce is that
> an intermediate cache cannot decide if the message is cacheable unless
> it knnows the application semantics. Consequnce: you cannot build
> application semantics independent caches.

I'm surprised Rich hasn't already pointed this out, but these days
there are gateways/routers that will work all the way up to layer 7.
So yes, you can build semantically independent caches.  The cost is
semantically aware "routers" and those aren't necessarily cheap, but
your argument in itself isn't complete as you've presented it...

<snip/>

--
Peter Hunsberger