   RE: [xml-dev] Exposing resources/services vs hiding implementation detai

  • To: "Michael Champion" <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>,"xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Exposing resources/services vs hiding implementation details
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:01:25 -0700

It seems you are confusing domain models with internal architectures.

> > If I turned your argument around and said there should be one
> > self-joining uber-table (property values) or one uber-object
> > (HashMap?) in a system it would surely be something to question.
> > What's special about mapping a domain onto URL space that
> we have to have one uber-URL?
>
> The strawman version of my position is essentially SOA dogma
> - expose the service and the service contract to the client,
> hide everything else.  Whether the service is implemented as
> an ubertable, an uberobject, or a nicely
> normalized/decomposed system of both, or by an army of people
> in a call center somewhere, is none of the client's business,
> so long as they get the contracted service and the quality of
> service they expect.  More importantly, the implementation
> techniques can evolve without affecting the client.

And the service will still have a domain model because it will have to
describe what messages it sends back and forth. I don't see how this
differs from the REST case except the fact that with REST you get to
address such objects via URIs and gain a bunch of benefits from the Web
infrastructure.

Can you clarify your position?

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
We make our friends. We make our enemies. God makes our next door

rights.