   XML Performance Improvements through Interdisciplinary Factor Assessment

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: XML Performance Improvements through Interdisciplinary Factor Assessment and Application
  • From: "Andrew Layman" <andrewl@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:56:51 -0700

Several recent proposals have noted possibilities for improvement in XML.  Notable among these are “XML Binary Characterization” (http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/NOTE-xbc-characterization-20050331/) and “REST, SOAP, Speech Acts and the mustUnderstand model of SOA communications” (http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200504/msg00000.html).

Overlooked in this technical discussion is a paper that Don Box and I posted late last Friday, “XML Performance Improvements through Interdisciplinary Factor Assessment and Application”.  We commend it to your attention. We are very proud of this research; it is an innovative approach to XML performance. We would, of course, like to express proper appreciation for the research directions and approaches implied by many contributors to XML-Dev over the years, without whom we could not have taken this kind of research to its present level. It is also timely – or, more exactly, slightly past timely – in that proper consideration of this would have been most appropriate on the day it was published.

http://strongbrains.com/misc/XMLPerf20050401.htm

So far, it has received a cautiously measured reaction:

http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/archive/2005/04/02/7172.aspx

Best wishes,

Andrew and Don

Redmond, Washington