   Re: [xml-dev] The Rising Sun: How XML Binary Restored the Fortunesof Inn

What you are describing is close to what some proposals involve.  You
make a few assumptions, about not being able to update for instance,
that are not necessarily true.  The complete set of features
(properties), detailed fairly well in the Binary XML working group
documents, provides the design context for this.

If "we" want to end up calling this "transport XML" or "transport DOM"
or "holistically optimized DOM" (because it isn't just about transport,
it's about the holistic overhead between one in-memory representation
and another accross the "wire"), that's just fine by me.  You are
talking about an interchangable, standardized format that is usable
between architectures, development environments, and various
applications, in other words a general purpose binary data format.  The
problem with not signaling it's semantic place in the world with "XML"
is a marketing problem and potentially a control and compatibility
problem.  A number of us want it to be associated with XML so that we do
have equivalence to a high degree and an understanding of
applicability.  If it evolves independently, it may diverge.  (That's
not to say that I don't think there are additional semantics that make
sense primarily in an binary world.)

BTW, the "cache them if they are standardized" directly maps to the
Deltas property, something that I advocate.  Additionally, you may want
to think about the possibility that you could create a format similar to
what you describe that can be randomly accessed incrementally without
first parsing or decoding.  An incremental random access format will
beat any parser/decoder on total time of access to a few fields of a
large, complicated instance.

Then consider whether a format could support relatively efficient
updates without parsing / decoding / encoding / serialization.  I can
prove easily that a format could support that; it is more difficult to
verbally prove compactness at the same time.  As I've said, it is
important to consider what constraints you need to support in what
combinations and find ways to unify the solution.  This is completely
different from adding bells and whistles.

I think that most instances of worry about updating other specs is a red
herring.  For most of them, you can just declare XML 1.x equivalence for
operations involving those specs.  That doesn't even mean you have to
convert to XML 1.x to be conforming, only that you operate "as if" that
were the case.  (A la ANSI C standard in places.)

sdw