   RE: [xml-dev] The Rising Sun: How XML Binary Restored the Fortunes of I

Yep.  While many developers do consider View Source essential and that gives
me hope, this fellow said what we heard about VRML:

"One of the biggest advantages that Flash has is that your work is
inaccessible to others. Having had my work copied/stolen in the past I find
the possibility of a view source option in Flash frightening. Coldfusion,
PHP, .NET, and C++ developers enjoy the advantage of having their code
protected from prying eyes. I don't see why a Flash developer should be
treated differently. As ActionScript becomes a more robust programming
language steps should be taken to protect the developer's code even further.
Not make it accessible to the public.

I understand that this is an optional add-in at the moment, but I hope there
are no plans of including this in future versions."

And so it goes.   I think it should be optional.  No one should force others
to share.
On the other hand, how many of our companies would be happy if we started
decompiling
and giving away company code?  Well, there is Solaris.  Score one for Sun.

Drifting offtopic as the day wanes... open source, freeware, abandonware,
what have you simplified my life as an artist incredibly.

For musicians, midi is our version of open source.  One shouldn't steal
another's recording (ie, sampling), but midi notes are fantastically
useful both for learning, for composing by example and for making
tracks to work with live (bands are reeeeealllly expensive,
notoriously unstable. and they smell bad).  The musicians
have understood this for a long time.  Some of us put midi up for our
works; others (usually people who use it live) guard it like gold.

Midi changed and improved my compositions enormously but I give away
recordings anyway.  I don't have time to make CDs for those who ask
for them, it was meant to be heard and I don't want to tour, so as
long as people aren't repackaging and selling or claiming it to be their
work, I'm happy
to let them download them.  I just gave a VRML community permission
to podcast them.  Otherwise, the mp3 location is on my blogpage.
Every so often, I add a new one.  Viva la revolution.

len

From: Paul Downey [mailto:paul.downey@whatfettle.com]

On 8 Apr 2005, at 17:08, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Can you open and inspect a Flash file?  (I don't
> know really; I don't make Flash files.)

This is apparently quite a topical subject, see
"Adding a View Source Menu item to Macromedia Flash Content":

http://www.markme.com/mesh/archives/007432.cfm