   Re: [xml-dev] Exposing resources/services vs hiding implementationdetail

Michael Champion wrote:

>On Apr 5, 2005 6:31 PM, Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com> wrote:
>

>>I don't see how defining a public URL space exposes any details about
>>my application structure. I've done it, for both human and machine
>>oriented interfaces, and you can't tell from the url structure or
>>response formats what my backend is doing. Or even if the entities in
>>the URI map 1:1 with entities in my database schema.
>>

>I interpreted Bill's original post as arguing that one should expose
>actual implementation objects, tables, etc. as URIs.  We cleared that
>up -- he was  talking about abstractions or "domain objects"  a la
>Amazon.com's book-specific URIs that one can exchange, bookmark, etc.
>and not the physical tables where all this stuff resides.   If the
>backend is hidden, behind URIs, services, or whatever, my concerns
>about information hiding are irrelevant.
>
>If the entities in the URI map 1:1 with your database schema, well, it
>seems like an unnecessary risk to me, but I don't claim to know much
>about security.  Judging by the state of the industry, I'm not sure
>that very many of us do either :-)  . My main reason for starting this
>thread was not to argue against this, but to wonder why several people
>are so certain that having a single message dispatcher URI is a bad
>idea, irrespective of whether exposing all the individual resource
>URIs is a good idea.
>
>I'm not sure my strawman has been demolished yet: The SOA dogma is to  expose
>the service and the service contract to the client,and hide everything
>else.  That seems to reflect decades of best practice, back to
>"information hiding" in the days when Structured Programming was the
>One True Path to software quality. I'm not sure what's wrong with that
>dogma, other than the fact that  REST advocates making "domain
>objects" visible via URIs and having clients manipulate them by
>transferring  representations.   Why is that supposedly better?
>What's the evidence?
>
>My motivation in all this uber-permathread is that I opposed the
>notion that was popular 3-4 years ago of extending the COM/CORBA/RMI
>distributed object paradigm to the Web;    I agreed with the
>RESTifarians that it wouldn't scale, wouldn't leverage the Web
>infrastructure, all the classic arguments that appear to have been
>validated by Amazon, Bloglines, Flickr, etc.  But now I'm questioning
>the currently popular notion that the Web architectural style is
>generally suitable for enterprise scenarios where COM/RMI/J2EE/etc.
>are entrenched.  In these, information is often confidential, lots of
>real money is on the table and armies of slimeballs want to steal it,
>there is a more even balance between readers and writers (making all
>the cacheing goodness somewhat irrelevant), and the data is consumed
>by mission-critical programs that can't just sigh and click on the
>next link if there is a 404, or try again later if there is a timeout.

i'll let the list know.

at the moment we pass xml transactions through our own pipelines with
store and forward mechanisms (much like email) to handle timeouts,
missing links, etc. works fine. it's a tcp port on another machine. once
the connection is made you get your own process to handle your
transaction. so exposing lots of uri's under a scheme like this is
irrelevant. we're implementing soap (using opensoap at the moment) to
test out the feasability of exposing the applications as services this
way and to see what effect it has on performance etc. in multi-level
distributed applications (which we have) the redirection facilities look
like just the go. caching is irrelevant because we're talking
transactions (which lots of people doing these things are also talking).
and while the example of the cached name/address from a service call is
interesting (you're likely to cache this result anyhow), the more likely
request will be for a stock level or order status etc which must not be
cached.

this is getting exciting (in an "i need a life" sense) - bits of
technology i have been developing for years - such as markup, messaging
systems, service stuff (using uri's and email), database integration
with web applications, etc are starting to find a home.

there's still a lot of work to do, but the light at the end of the
tunnel is getting bigger.

rick

> MAYBE the Web architecture principles apply here as well, obviously
>many people think they should.  I'm skeptical, and asking for solid
>arguments and concrete success stories.

>!DSPAM:425327ea287931727735383!

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall