   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Non-infoset

Some (intermediate) readers of an XML document must keep the integrity of the byte stream, even though the byte stream contains details beyond the intended information content of the document.

For example, in certain cases, the only transformation possible in a relay step is GZIP.

The writer makes choices, but a reader cannot always tell which of those choices (if any) convey some semantics in the intentions of the writer and which do not.  In other words, an XML document may contain more information than the writer considers significant, but a given reader may not be able to separate the non-significant part from the significant part.

Alessandro