   Re: [xml-dev] Are URIs Resources? (WAS RE: [xml-dev] Re: Non-infoset)

Joe English wrote:

>Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>

>>That's the critical observation for this and many other
>>threads that rely on ontological commitment to sustain
>>communications.
>>
>>Would anyone care to compare that to URIs as a unit of
>>information:
>>
>>1.  Is a URI a resource?
>>

>No.  There is no such thing as a "resource".
>
>To elaborate on that:  There are two groups that have
>spent a lot of time and energy trying to figure out
>what a "resource" is, and both have come to the same
>conclusion:  We don't know what a "resource" is, and we
>don't really care either.
>
>For lack of a better name I'll call these "the REST camp" and
>"the RDF camp".  In the REST camp's worldview, "resources"
>are formally and explicitly left undefined --

Hmm...IMHO, Roy has been pretty specific about what a resource is:

" More precisely, a resource /R/ is a temporally varying membership
function /M/_R /(t)/, which for time /t/ maps to
a set of entities, or values, which are equivalent. The values in the
set may be /resource representations/ and/or
/resource identifiers/."

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_2_1_1

With GET you invoke the membership function.

Are you maybe confusing 'concept' (a humans interpretation what is being
"mapped to a set of entities")
with 'resource'?

Jan