   Re: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

We're talking apples and oranges here.

What you're talking about is a generic set of relational tables like
Elements, Attributes, Text, Comments, and ProcessingInstructions. This
is generally considered to be a native XML database implemented on top
of a relational database. In fact, this is roughly how SQL Server
implements their XML data type.

What I'm talking about is a set of tables designed to store documents
corresponding to a particular XML schema. For example, mapping a sales
order document to the Sales, Items, Customers, and Parts tables. While
such tables can, in theory, store things like sibling order, comments,
and processing instructions, in practice they almost never do. This is
generally known as "shredding".

One significant difference between the two is that the first in some way
looks like an XML document while the second is indistinguishable from
other relational data.

-- Ron