   Re: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

> Shredding is very useful for storing certain classes of data-centric
> documents, especially when non-XML documents need to access that data.
[snip]
>  So it shouldn't be viewed as a substitute for native XML storage but as
>  a complementary technology.

That's true. We're not always presented with a shredding OR native XML decision.
Sometimes the requirement is shredding AND native XML.

> > Even more desirable is implementing XML as an SQL type. ... Informix was the
> > first to demonstrate that at XML conferences in 1999.
>
> Interesting. Did the Informix technology ever get released?

The demos I saw were Informix Internet Foundation.2000, which included Dynamic
Server.2000. That product shipped in late 1999 / early 2000. It was before the
IBM acquisition.
http://www.ewertdotcom.com/portfolio/docs/ids.2000_techbrief.pdf