   RE: [xml-dev] XML-enabled databases, XQuery APIs

> I'm neutral here, but for an opposing view see "XML Parsing:
> A Threat to
> Database Performance" [1] by Matthias Nicola of IBM. From the
> abstract:
>
> "XML parsing is generally known to have poor performance
> characteristics
> relative to transactional database processing. Yet, its potentially
> fatal impact on overall database performance is being
> underestimated. We
> report real-word database applications where XML parsing
> performance is
> a key obstacle to a successful XML deployment..."
>
> -- Ron

Thanks for the reference. The paper puzzles me, though. In section 4.1 they
say that:

* parsing a 100K document typically takes 175K instructions

* inserting a row into a relational table requires 30K to 200K instructions.

I would have expected that in a system using shredding, a 100K XML document
would result in say 200 rows being added to the database, giving an insert
cost of 6M to 40M instructions compared with a parsing cost of 175K
instructions, broadly in line with the "two orders of magnitude" that I
guessed in my original post. Clearly I'm thinking of a different kind of
application from the one that they studied.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/