len

From: Dare Obasanjo [mailto:dareo@microsoft.com]

What Bosworth is pointing out is that the Web is different from 'the
enterprise'. XML technologies over the past few years have been hijacked by
enterprise concerns. It is telling that XQuery is now primarily being driven
by relational database vendors and WS-* is basically taking on the use cases
of DCOM/CORBA/etc for the Enterprise. These may all be the right solutions
on the intranet or within the firewall (maybe) but they are too complex for
the worse-is-better world that is the Web.

Using RSS as the primary data format for the Web (in the same way HTML is
the primary document format) isn't as crazy as it sounds. Amazon's
OpenSearch shows the kinds of powerful yet loosely coupled integration one
can build on RSS. I'm in the process of writing an article showing how you
can build at least one kind of interesting application simply using the RSS
that is emitted by MSN Search and MSN Spaces. Once it is published I'll
probably do a blog post that ties it together with what Adam Bosworth
presented at the conference.