   Re: [xml-dev] XSD spec question

Eric van der Vlist wrote:
On mar, 2005-04-26 at 13:22 -0700, Chris Griffin wrote:

In section 3.14.2 of http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/ it says "{any
attributes with non-schema namespace . . . }" Does that mean I can
add my own attributes? For example can I do this:

  <simpleType name="myName" xyz:myattribute="something">
   . . .
  </simpleType>

Exactly!

Eric

    I was not aware of this feature before. In fact, if the above is true, it is not possible to validate an XML Schema (which itself is an XML document) against a DTD because there is no way to specify in a DTD that an element can have any attributes.
    The obvious question is why would you need attributes outside the XML Schema specification ? If you extend an XML Schema in such a way then you defeat one of the main goals of XML, which is to be portable (only you tool will understand the custom attributes)

--
Regards,
Razvan

SCJP preparation material: