   RE: [xml-dev] What is the difference between XSD and DTD

  • To: "'Saha Rabindra N'" <saha.rn@mellon.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What is the difference between XSD and DTD
  • From: "Michael Kay" <mike@saxonica.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:44:20 +0100

In fact this is another big advantage of XML Schema over DTD. With DTDs, a document is valid if it conforms to any DTD chosen by the document author, which might have been arbitrarily modified to make the document valid. The recipient knows it's valid against some DTD, but they have no idea if it's the right DTD. With XML Schema, the document recipient can specify which schema should be used for validation.

Michael Kay