   RE: Language Theorie concerning XML Schema (heavy, at least to me)

> In general, my question is:
> Does the fact that XML Schema is a context free language with
> additional rules mean that if a parser is supporting a feature (say
> Complex Types) correctly, it will support it where ever it might
> appear nested in whatever other type? (supporting means it can
> validate an element a complexType is providing a type for, in any
> instance)

I'm no theorist; but I think you are making the mistake of reading the
phrase "context free language" as if it were ordinary English. In fact, it's
a technical phrase in language theory with a technical meaning (which others
can explain far better than I can).

In particular, a schema defines the content model of each element using a
context-free grammar. But the decisions on which content model to use for
validating a particular element do depend on the position of that element
relative to other elements, which is perhaps what you were thinking of as
"context".

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/