   Re: [xml-dev] What is the difference between XSD and DTD

  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What is the difference between XSD and DTD
  • From: Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:04:50 -0400

On 4/27/05, Saha Rabindra N <saha.rn@mellon.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   By "cross validate" I mean :
>... Because DTD is defined in same XML document itself
> and DTD itself is not a separate doc as opposed to XSD.

I'm thinking that by "cross-validate" he means to use an inline DTD or
schema that is an integral part of the instance document.  That is one
thing that DTDs do (or rather the internal subset allows)  that XSD
cannot do well or in a standard way.   The Microsoft XML tools support
this, but there are conceptual issues as well as interoperability
problems.  See the thread starting at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2005Mar/0069.html
for more information.