   Re: [xml-dev] Using XInclude

* Uche Ogbuji <Uche.Ogbuji@fourthought.com> [2005-04-29 15:40]:
> On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 13:21 -0400, Alan Gutierrez wrote:
> >     I've implemented a simple Include engine for my pipeline
> >     framework that will optionally take an XPath query as a URI
> >     fragment, it seems to do everything I want.
> >
> >     Wondering who uses XInclude and where?
>
> I use XInclude *heavily* as a means to write articles about XML.  I
> usually write listings as external files, for easy testing, and then I
> use <xi:include parse="text"... to bring it seamlessy into the article
> for sending to the editor.  All escaping and encoding issues are pretty
> much taken care of.  Very handy.
>
> I use the XInclude implementation in 4Suite, part of which I wrote.
>
> > Has anyone implemented
> >     the full xpointer scheme?
>
> We sure the heck haven't.  Madness...
>
> > I read over XInclude and didn't see
> >     why I needed the "point" concept, but I didn't read it too hard.
>
> points and ranges are really for use in Web browsers and other such
> interactive UIs.  They are useless for offline-type use.  I and others
> complained early on that they should be removed from the XPointer core
> and moved to a user agent module of some sort.  Oh well.

    Thank you. This is the explaination I was looking for.

    It does seem like the xpointer scheme was doing text selections,
    and I couldn't figure out how that could be used practically,
    especially from my XSLT-centric point of view. I can see how it
    could be used to reference text selected in a UI, but that
    strikes me as a very fragile pointer.

    Did you implement anything beyond the a xpath statement of the
    xpointer scheme? I figure that the following would be plenty
    good enough:

    - xmlns
    - element
    - xpointer(<xpath statement>)

    Since the above could be implemented without having to hack into
    an XPath implementation.

    Cheers.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com