   Re: [xml-dev] FYI: unofficial OASIS XML Catalogs Test Suite

On Saturday 30 April 2005 18:48, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 18:04 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It might be of interest to know, that an unofficial test suite for OASIS
> > XML Catalogs exists.[1] While informal and not embraced by an standards
> > body, it is useful.
> >
> > It contains about 50 tests, some for the suffix mechanism introduced in
> > XML Catalogs 1.1, is licensed under the MIT license, and was initially
> > developed by Rob Lugt of ElCel Technologies, to then be extended and
> > maintained by me, while writing an implementation for KDE.
> >
> > Feel free to use it. While its extent of coverage is undefined to be
> > exact, and the tests' validness can't be guaranteed for, it was
> > nevertheless useful for me when striving for compliance.
>
> Thanks Frans.
>
> For non-CVS users, a zipped|gzipped copy of the actual catalog files
> would be really helpful, especially for new users to catalogs,
> to see how they can be used!

I'll answer that in two ways:

* I don't think a test suite is the best way to learn how to use and the
intent of Catalogs, but there are excellent articles available on the topic:
http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/resolver/resolver-article.html
http://nwalsh.com/docs/articles/xml2003/

* I've attached a tar.bz2 copy of the test suite(14kb); mail privately for
other format(zip is too big for mailinglist).

It would make sense to host the test suite on for example Sourceforge(OASIS is
not interested, btw), to version it and give it a web page, but there must be
a bit more interest first..

> btw, I tried
> [dpawson@marge tmp]$ export \
> CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous.anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde"
> [dpawson@marge tmp]$ cvs login
> Logging in to :pserver:dpawson@anonymous.anoncvs.kde.org:2401/home/kde
> CVS password:
> Unknown host anonymous.anoncvs.kde.org.