   RE: [xml-dev] More on Vector Models - Chicken and Duck talk

From: David Lyon [mailto:david.lyon@computergrid.net]

>No. there should be no such thing as a performance bottleneck in an
enterprise
>xml system. This tends to only happen in larger organisations.

;-)

>Anyway, that's just one experience I have of computers in an enterprise at
>very large scale. It can be a mess and there is no easy way to sort it out.
>think the majority of xml development has been governed by engineers with
>this sort of experience.

So one should be suspicious of so-called pipelined solutions (the devil
is in the processes being piped) and people doing that sort of work are
where one might want to hunt for skullduggery, malfeasance, conspiracies,
and so on.  People pipelining black box web processes are probably
criminals.

>Down at the small business, things are the opposite.

>Accounting systems usually store everything and delays in processing are
>usually physical. The time to run up the stairs to the office to check the
>computer.

When are sneakers faster than processed light?  Strong typing is better
than hunt and peck.

>Ambiguity is always handled by a human mental process and resolved by
either
>speaking softly or yelling down the phone at the other party. There's also
>the classic deference strategy of "the cheque is in the mail".

Who's afraid of Schrodinger's Cat?  Open the ebox and ask the cat.  If you
get an answer, the cat is alive.  If you don't get an answer, you don't know

because the cat might be almost dead or merely sleeping.  Call the Coroner.

>So the two cultures, small organisation and large organisation are
>diametrically opposed. The larger ones are process driven whilst the
smaller
>ones are sales driven.

As long as your customer does not offer their own query, the term
space is irrelevant to the document space.  Sales over procurement.

>> That's why Bosworth's presentation has merit.  The problem
>> however, is that it simply moves the calculation of the similarity
>> metric away from the apriori schema declaration into raw
>> microparsed vector results.

>Hmm.. I'll have to feed this one to computer....

Right.  It tastes the coffee instead of offering a mug.

>In Chinese, they have this expression called "Chicken and Duck talk" where
the
>chicken speaks in it's language, and the duck in it's. They are both happy.

And they don't have to understand each other.  Eggs with roast duck in a
nice
sauce makes the farmer happy.  The farmer only has to worry if customer
wants roast
chicken with duck eggs instead of roast duck with chicken eggs and he has
to ask the duck and chicken what they prefer first.  The pig is sanguine
about that.

>I hope in the future that these different cultures can be bridged and that
xml
>is the path.

XML is the coffee cup.  It doesn't care.   It is the reliable node in the
pipeline but won't warm the coffee; it only contains it.

len