   Re: [xml-dev] Well-established uses of processing instructions?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Well-established uses of processing instructions?
  • From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 18:48:45 +1000

Michael Kay wrote:

>I sometimes use processing instructions in a source document as instructions
>to a stylesheet, for example
>
><?insert-current-date-here?>
>
>One could of course use an element just as well; but that means changing the
>schema/DTD, which one might have no control over.
>
>This is not really something I would recommend: it's very likely that other
>applications designed to process XML conforming to this schema will fall
>over when they encounter this undocumented PI. But it can be handy all the
>same!

Why would they fall over?  Typically unless you specifically do something to
make your application act on PIs, they are stripped or ignored.

Applications that fall over when they discover a PI they don't
understand are
improperly written.

But PIs used to generate text are non-portable, and so appropriate for
documents
that are being pre-processed. Probably what should be used is  entities:

<!ENTITY current-data SYSTEM "http://www.eg.com/dynamic?get-current-date";>

because the information is data content.

Cheers
Rick

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe