   Re: [xml-dev] Well-established uses of processing instructions?

On 5/8/05, Vladimir Gapeyev <vgapeyev@seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> I am curious to know to what uses have people put XML processing
> instructions.  I am more interested in those that have a "community"
> around them (manifesting itself by a de jure or a de facto standard, or
> multiple applications that understand the PI, or large amount of document
> instances with unrelated authorship) rather than in made-up samples,
> however plausible they are.  Any pointers?
>
> After some search, I am aware of just a couple instances:
>
> (1) http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/ -- W3C Recommendation of 1999 on
> Associating Style Sheets with XML documents.  How much is this Rec
> important for non-HTML XML documents?  (For (X)HTML, the <LINK
> REL="stylesheet"> element appears to be a better solution.)

I've played with this support some and it seems it could have big
potential.  However, I've a real hard time getting rational support of
overflow and box sizing support to work with IE 6. It claims to be
implementing a strict W3C box model, if that's true then the current
specs. are a little less than 100% useful.

Has anyone found a way to use overflow='auto' with sub-areas (interior
boxes) of XML styled in IE 6 (or any other browser for that matter)?
I can only get overflow='scroll' to work across an entire frame and
still have the results be predictable...

--
Peter Hunsberger