   RE: [xml-dev] Well-established uses of processing instructions?

It allows Word/InfoPath to work with existing Schema.  The Schema
probably already dictates the root element for the document, and to wrap
it with <ms:word> would break any other software that expected the
native shape.  Think of this use of the PI as similar to the #! At the
head of scripts on Unix.  It is useful for many of the same reasons.

-derek

wordProcessingML