   RE: [xml-dev] anyURI mystery help

> RFC3986 says:
>
> path          = path-abempty  (etc)
> path-abempty  = *( "/" segment )
> segment       = *pchar
> pchar         = unreserved / pct-encoded / sub-delims / ":" / "@"
>
> So ":" is explicitly allowed inside a segment of the hierarchical path.

Oh, sure and there are lots of schemes that use that. ":" is a reserved
delimiter for generic URI parsing. (But that does not mean that particular
scheme syntaxes must allow ":"...it is scheme-specific.)

" A path segment that contains a colon character (e.g., "this:that")
   cannot be used as the first segment of a relative-path reference, as
   it would be mistaken for a scheme name.  Such a segment must be
   preceded by a dot-segment (e.g., "./this:that") to make a relative-
   path reference."

So no URI references like "c:/temp/xxx.txt".  And *if* you have have use
a | there, it is not unreasonable that the full file URI should also allow
it.

One good resource on this is P Hoffman's "The file URI Scheme"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-file-uri-03.txt
which was released at the same time as RFC3986.

As it says, the issue of the exact syntax of the file: scheme is unresolved.
I think all we can do is know the range of tricks. Whenever I teach an
XML-related course, I always try to make the point "The thing you type in
the address box of your browser is not a URL" and let them know about this
kind problem with file:, because sooner or later they will probably have
to face it.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe