   Re: [xml-dev] Processing XML 1.1 documents with XML Schema 1.0 processor

On May 15, 2005, at 17:32, Robin Berjon wrote:

> One aspect that you seem to be failing to take into account based on
> your comparison with Finland is that everyone in Finland speaks seven
> languages fluently.
> If you don't speak English (or not well at all) -- which is *far* more
> common than you imagine

I don't expect all end users to speak other languages besides their
native language. I don't even expect all developers to speak other
languages besides their native language. I have, however, been assuming
that being able to *read* either English or Japanese was prerequisite
for being a software developer.

How do French developers read Javadocs or Perl POD for non-core
libraries?

> It's not just element and attribute names though, see the weekdays
> enumeration here:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/2005/03/02-ishida-tech-plen/

Isn't the general tendency when fixing things to move away from DTDs to
RELAX NG?

> I also think that you're blowing the interoperability issues of XML
> 1.1 way out of proportion.

An XML 1.0 processor is required to reject all XML 1.1 docs. Seems like
a big deal in terms of interop.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi