   RE: [xml-dev] Question on XSD validator

>Yes, you might be able to dig something out of the samples, like the
>intuitively named dom.Counter. But that's not the same as Xerces
>"support" for a command line interface. And Xerces documentation is so
>crappy (that's the technical term for it) that without reading the
>code many need ERH's book just to know what options can be set.

It's not so bad, considering that it's free. I've never had to look at the
code. See http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/samples.html, particularly the
DOM, SAX, and XNI samples, which explain all the command line tools and the
command line options to use with them. I like xni.XMLGrammarBuilder, because
in addition to validating documents against W3C schemas, it can check the
schemas themselves for correctness without any document being specified, and
I trust it more than XMLSpy.

Like a lot of java programs, command line usage means specifying class names
and command line switches, so a one-line batch file or shell script can make
the name as intuitive as you want. I have one called checkSchema.bat that
looks like this:

  java dom.ASBuilder -f -a %1

(I believe dom.AsBuilder is now deprecated in favor of
xni.XMLGrammarBuilder.)

I also use stdinparse from Xerces C++
(http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/stdinparse.html) a lot.

Bob DuCharme         www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>     see http://www.snee.com/bob/xsltquickly
for info on "XSLT Quickly" from Manning Publications.