   Re: [xml-dev] Understanding Scaling - Critical for a Net-CentricVision

roger

the user critic isn't really scalable so much as a learning thing. users
start uneducated and as more of them attend the movie (or read the book
etc) the community "learns" to like or dislike. individuals may still
diverge, but the community opinion tends to a conclusion.

it's an important part of ai (and the basis of neural nets) but i'm not
sure it's a scalable technology as most of us would think of it.

in most cases a "scalable" technology is accepted as one where the cost
(whatever that might mean) grows as n(log n). ie less than linear.

this applies across a wide range of disciplines, especially economics of
scale - and helps to explain why us small guys can be innovative, but
not competitive ;)

rick

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall