   RE: [xml-dev] xsi:type handling

If you declare an element to be of type MyDerivedFromShortType, then you can
use xsi:type to further restrict it to a subtype of MyDerivedFromShortType,
but you can't relax the restrictions by making it an xs:short.

I wouldn't personally derive a restricted integer value from short, unless
you have some reasons I don't know about. The type you've defined could just
as validly be derived from xs:byte, or xs:unsignedInt, or
xs:nonNegativeInteger. If there are no structural semantics (like
"pass-grade" being derived from "grade") I prefer to derive such types
directly from xs:integer. So long as you're only doing validation it doesn't
really matter, but once you start using typed values in your application it
makes a difference.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/