   RE: [xml-dev] What are web services ?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What are web services ?
  • From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:20:10 -0400

Although no single, authoritative definition exists for basic terms like "service" and "Web Service", here are some fundamental characteristics that some folks believe that anything described as a "Web Service" should possess:

(1) Can interact with it through the WWW;
(2) Platform- and programming language-agnostic;
(3) Interface & invocation requirements are well-described;
(4) XML-encoded interaction mechanism;
(5) Payload most often is XML;
(6) Loose coupling between invoker and Web Service;
(7) Performs a specific, well-defined function;
(8) May invoke other Web Services;
(9) Standards-based;
(10) Has the ability to perform its functionality synchronously or asynchronously, as needed; (i.e. does not use synchronous interaction when asynchronous is best, and vice-versa);

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton