   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

More of a question... Is the 4 +/- years between submission and grant
fairly typical of any patent or are these patents that were at the
very bottom of a huge pile of MS patent applications that were
considered much more important (random meaningless guess)? If these
were patents that were thrown into the pile at a time when MS was
applying for patents for anything that could be described in words,
whether they made common sense or not (e.g. applying for and gaining a
patent for "ToDo:" inlined in code) and without attempting to research
prior art, are these then seen as more of an embarrasment than
anything else.

I doubt any official or non official comment could (or should) be made
by an MS blue badge but no doubt there are others who might have
extended insite into the general patent process and whether this is
more likely than not just another "hurry up and patent everything"
application that is being granted at a time that is the least friendly
towards MS's current Open XML :: With this as a consideration you
could almost see this as a non-MS friendly patent clerks "oh wow!
look what I just found from back in 2001... stamp! release... chuckle
in the break room with his/her buddies.

Not suggesting ANY of this as "fact" as to what has happened... just
curious if maybe the opposite of what it seems to be could even be a
possibility?