   RE: [xml-dev] Why XML for Messaging?

Hello Rick,

>Didier:
>What about using XML to transfer the collection of object and then
transform
>them into you target language environment? Maybe you have the right
>technologies now to do it, doesn't it?

we're starting to do it, but if note the cross thread on a recent ms
patent i will probably have to go back to the drawing board on
representation.

but yes, xml transport of data (i'd rather not call them objects) is
working very well. the secret however is the message system, rather than
the syntax of the message.

Didier:
Yes I saw the posting about the patent. RDF as a way to encode objects
without the behavior is prior art. So I won't worry too much. Also, they
can't attack in court anyone using xquery or XML/sql to produce objects,
especially if the ones doing this are also their customers. There is a whole
research to do on assembling behavior and data. Actually object db do that
on the client side. The code comes from a file and the data from an ODB.
Some store the code with the data but are restricted to only one language
platform. Some brain glucose has to be burned on that.

and what is wrong with more creativity and more thinking? i wouldn't
expect a good solution any other way :)

Didier:
Nothing :-) And using XML+HTML+ECMASCript to keep the app logic on the
client side precisely requires some imagination and creativity. Especially
if you want to create and use components like we saw in Visual Basic and
powerbuilder. This said, with modest means you can only do little even if
you have a good solution in mind.

What I would like to see in a near future is:

1- Web browser client able to run apps as powerful as the visual basic or
powerbuilder apps of the beginning 90s.
2 - Able to acess web services directly from the client with automatic
marshaling. For instance, having an object factory to create ECMAScript
objects created from the WSDL. The object would be ECMASCript objects not a
function calls. There shouldn't be any impedance mismatch for this. We shoud
be able to use constructs like object.method().
3 - Off the shelf components a layout editor can use
4 - a layout editor + a script editor

I already have several of these elements but geee, the task is big
especially if you have to raise a small family and make a living. And I know
that this is disruptive for some big Software producers (who already
invested in the mainframe architecture), so funding can be hard to find. Up
to now part of the development has been funded by the Canadian government
and by myself (mostly myself).

Cheers
Didier PH Martin